Archive for January, 2011
After a week of work, we’ve got another test build ready!
Here’s what’s new:
We’ve put a lot of work into this, and while we’re getting closer to the deadline, I think we’ve got a good chance at having a good build together in time. Enjoy!
I’ve been working on the shader for the Gelfis and here’s how he looks in game…
This guy will be in the next update!
I was going to make a really lame Shakespeare pun, but I thought I’d save everyone having to bang their head against the desk and just went with “Public Todo” as the title. Of course, having said that, you probably banged your head against the desk anyway. But I digress!
We’ve added a public todo list up on the navigation bar, so you can take a peek at what we’re doing and what we’ve already done. As time goes on, more stuff will probably pop up in there, so keep an eye on it!
Just a little update to let you all know how development is going.
We’ve also added some nice wavy long grass to the surface areas and I’m working on a ship model that will transport the player to the levels and serve as your base of operations.
Today’s update includes backgrounds, a hidden block effect, lighting that goes from warm to cool as you descend, more grass tiles, and of course, the titular glowing MacGuffin of doom. Every level has one now, and it’s your ultimate goal in the game. Once you find it and pick it up, you’ll be given a timer to return to your ship before it explodes and kills you!
…Of course, you still don’t have a ship, so it doesn’t actually explode yet. It does get brighter and bigger, though!
It’s okay, no conspiracy theories here, we just updated the game to include grass now! The entrance to the cave also looks a little nicer. As well, if you hold M, you’ll get a minimap of the level. Give it a try!
One of the biggest parts of Drillboid’s gameplay will be the level generation. This was my first time programming a level generator, though, so I did a little research and found that ChevyRay’s article on procedural generation and the source code for Spelunky were incredibly helpful. So, in the spirit of sharing that those lovely folks set, I figured I’d share what I came up with in the end!
The system you see in the current test build has three steps: first, it carves out a bunch of “rooms”, second, it fills those rooms in with premade rooms, and third, it randomizes those rooms slightly. Today I’ll be looking at the first step, but I’ll probably talk about the other two steps later on. (continue reading…)
Uploaded a nice new design for the blog.
We’ll be posting up little snippets about Drillboid here as it’s being developed. Take a look at the test build, but keep in mind that it’s still under heavy construction.